Grilled Aubergine Parcels
These are delicious little Italian bundles of semi sun dried tomatoes, smoked mozarella, basil,wrapped in slices of aubergine.
2 large long aubergines
225 gr smoked mozarella or scamorza
200gr semi sun dried tomatoes
16 large basil leaves
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
For the Dressing
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
1 tbsp lime juice
For the Garnish
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
torn basil leaves
1. Remove stalks from aubergines and cut them into slices about 5mm thick. Discard first and last slice.
2. Boil aubergine slices for about 2 minutes till softened then dry on kitchen paper.
3. Cut cheese into 8 slices, cut each semi sun dried tomato into eight slices, not including first and last slice.
4. Place 2 aubergine slices in a cross, put a slice of semi sun dried tomato in the centre, season with salt and pepper, add a basil leaf, a slice of mozarella, another basil leaf and another slice of semi sun dried tomato .
5. Fold the ends of the aubergine slice around the fillings to make a neat parcel.
Chill the parcels for about 20 minutes.
6. To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sun dried tomato paste and lime juice. Season to taste.
7. Preheat grill, brush parcels with olive oil and cook for about 5 minutes each side until golden. Serve hot with the dressing, sprinkled with the toasted pine nuts and basil.
Always a success at dinner parties.