Sour Cream, Aubergine & Potato Gratin with Pecorino Cheese
This dish is simple to make, delicious for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike and can be served as a whole meal or a side dish. It really is yummy and can easily be made in advance then baked just before you need to eat it!
5 tbsp olive oil
2 large aubergines cut into 1 cm slices
6 medium onions finely sliced
1 clove garlic (optional)
1 tsp soft brown sugar
1 kg potatoes (preferably Jersey Royal or similar), peeled
220g sour cream (home-made or shop bought)
2 tbsp finely chopped thyme
Butter for greasing dish
250g Pecorino or other strong cheese
300 ml vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the aubergines until golden.
2. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
3. Reduce the heat and cook the onions & garlic with the sugar in the frying
pan for around 20 minutes until soft and caramelised stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a saucepan in salted water, bring to the
boil, cook for no more than 10 minutes (until still firm). Drain.
5. Preheat the oven to 425oF/ 220oC/ Gas mark 7
6. When the potatoes are cool enough, slice into 1cm thick slices.
7. Put them in a large bowl and coat with the sour cream and thyme. Season.
8. Butter a 2 litre oven-proof dish (we used an oblong one).
9. Cover the base with 1/2 the potatoes. Sprinkle over the onion mixture.
10 Layer the aubergines over the top and 2/3rds of the cheese.
11 Cover neatly with the rest of the potatoes and pour over vegetable stock.
12 Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and for extra taste grate a
little parmesan over.
13 Bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbly.
14 Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes before eating.
15 Delicious served with a crisp green salad.
16 Enjoy! (we certainly did) and I’m now thinking of variations. A sprinkling of
walnuts or pine nuts on the top would be great too.